This week a bevy of Southern California galleries are headed to Texas for the sixth Dallas Art Fair. The exhibitors include longtime visitors Thomas Solomon and Charlie James, as well as newcomers M+B, OHWOW, and Luis De Jesus, among others.
“Tom Solomon got the ball rolling, because he was out here first,” says Charlie James. “LA dealers see Dallas is deep with potential new collectors who are turned on by the passion of collecting, and they’re getting to know it now. And we see there’s wealth here, and it’s fun, and people want to come check it out.” James reports that the fair had “a significant positive impact on our 2012.”
The fair is generally acknowledged to have dramatically improved over the years, with this year’s exhibitor list being the strongest yet (although how many of those will be showing slick abstract paintings remains to be seen).
“We plan on coming back to Dallas every year,” says James. “It’s a lot more gusher than duster, to put it in Texas terms.”
also by Glasstire
- New Director to take on OCMA - May 22nd, 2014
- Broad Primes the Pump with Famous Artist Talks - May 8th, 2014
- Al's Grand Hotel Returns to Frieze - May 6th, 2014
- Check Out This Liotard - April 23rd, 2014
- Resurrecting the Native Flora of LA - April 21st, 2014