One of the things people always say about El Paso is that it’s closer to Los Angeles than it is to the eastern part of Texas. Perhaps that proximity is driving the current flurry of activity by California artists. All over this city in the desert, El Paso curators are looking west for collaborations and talent to mine.
First off is the show Citizen Culture. The Santa Monica Museum of Art received a $121,500 grant from the Warhol Foundation for this show, which opens there this fall. Curated by Lucía Sanromán (who’s also doing this summer’s Site Santa Fe), the show will travel to the Rubin Center at the University of Texas El Paso (UTEP) in the spring of 2015. The show includes San Diego architect Teddy Cruz and will feature international artists and architects working to change public policy.
also by Glasstire
- Top Shows in SoCal: July 3, 2015 - July 3rd, 2015
- Top 5 Video: June 19, 2015 - June 19th, 2015
- Top 5 Video: June 12, 2015 - June 12th, 2015
- Top 5 Video: May 22, 2015 - May 22nd, 2015
- Top 5 VIDEO: May 7, 2015 - May 7th, 2015