San Diego artist and longtime UCSD professor Ernest Silva died suddenly last week at the age of 65. In a tribute posted to culturebuzz, Robert Pincus remembers Silva’s illustrative painting style that explored a dark side of suburban life. As a longtime supporter of the San Diego art scene, Silva’s influence was perhaps most felt through his work as a teacher. Tributes from Silva’s former students have been piling up on his Facebook page, where his humor and generosity of spirit are celebrated. A memorial service will be held in the Atkinson Pavilion of the Faculty Club on the UCSD campus on Tuesday, March 4 at 4 p.m.
also by Glasstire
- Top 5: October 31, 2014 - October 31st, 2014
- Top 5: Oct. 16, 2014 - October 1st, 2014
- Top 5: Oct. 9, 2014 - September 9th, 2014
- New Director to take on OCMA - May 22nd, 2014
- Broad Primes the Pump with Famous Artist Talks - May 8th, 2014