Leonard Knight, creator of the legendary folk art environment Salvation Mountain near the Salton Sea, died yesterday at the age of 82. As reported by the Imperial Valley Press, some of the Korean War veteran’s ashes will be interred at the Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery in Point Loma. The rest will be scattered at Knight’s magnum opus, a remarkable, brightly painted hill that proclaims “God is Love” and that was featured in the 2011 film Into the Wild.
also by Glasstire
- New Director to take on OCMA - May 22nd, 2014
- Broad Primes the Pump with Famous Artist Talks - May 8th, 2014
- Al's Grand Hotel Returns to Frieze - May 6th, 2014
- Check Out This Liotard - April 23rd, 2014
- Resurrecting the Native Flora of LA - April 21st, 2014