Glam director Jeffrey Deitch has added powerhouse entertainment agent Ari Emanuel to the MOCA board, and the results have been immediate: Emanuel reportedly negotiated a partner deal between MOCA and YouTube that launched MOCAtv, a channel featuring offbeat artist videos. Google, YouTube’s owner is fronting the production costs for the videos against future advertising royalties. The only text in their promo video for the series quotes Marshall Mcluhan: “Art is What You Can Get Away With.”
Blogger William Poundstone watched the nine videos on offer and called them “fun and counterintuitive without trying too hard. This could be the future of museum video.” Yesterday he guesstimated that in it’s first two days MOCAtv had generated $8.87 in ad revenue. today, it’s probably closer to $17, but then MOCAtv is just getting started.
also by Bill Davenport
- YouTube Introduces PayTube: Subscription Channels Get Test Run - May 10th, 2013
- The Los Ageles County Museum of Art Bids to Take Over Los Angeles' Imploding Museum of Contemprary Art - March 8th, 2013
- Dance Into The New Year with Artpix - January 8th, 2013
- RIPNEKST: Ex-Houston Graffiti Writer NEKST Has Died - December 29th, 2012
- Layer-Cake City: New Roman Excavation Finished, Subway, Under Art Center, Under Traffic Circle - December 27th, 2012