The first Los Angeles biennial, Made in L.A. 2012, organized by the Hammer Museum in collaboration with LAXART, will be presented at the Hammer, LAXART, and the Department of Cultural Affairs’ Los Angeles Municipal Art Gallery at Barnsdall Park beginning June 2. The exhibition will debut new installations, videos, films, sculptures, performances by 60 emerging and under-recognized artists from the L.A. region, offering a snapshot of the current trends and practices coming out of Los Angeles.
The biennial is organized by a team including Hammer senior curator Anne Ellegood, Hammer curator Ali Subotnick, LAXART director and chief curator Lauri Firstenberg, LAXART associate director and senior curator Cesar Garcia, and LAXART curator-at-large Malik Gaines. In conjunction with Made in L.A. 2012 curator Ali Subotnick is also organizing the Venice Beach Biennial, a weekend event that makes tongue-in-cheek reference to the “real” Venice Biennale in Italy and treats the famed Venice Beach boardwalk, Ocean Front Walk, as an outdoor exhibition venue. Over the course of the weekend, some 25-30 artists will set up vending stands alongside the veteran boardwalk artists on July 13–15.
also by Bill Davenport
- Machine Project teams up with UTEP in El Paso's new Cuadro - November 10th, 2014
- Artadia Wants You! Deadline for First Round of LA Grants September 30 - September 28th, 2013
- From Curator/Scholar to L.A. Gallerist: Paul Schimmel to Join Hauser & Wirth - May 24th, 2013
- YouTube Introduces PayTube: Subscription Channels Get Test Run - May 10th, 2013
- The Los Ageles County Museum of Art Bids to Take Over Los Angeles' Imploding Museum of Contemprary Art - March 8th, 2013