The first Los Angeles biennial, Made in L.A. 2012, organized by the Hammer Museum in collaboration with LAXART, will be presented at the Hammer, LAXART, and the Department of Cultural Affairs’ Los Angeles Municipal Art Gallery at Barnsdall Park beginning June 2. The exhibition will debut new installations, videos, films, sculptures, performances by 60 emerging and under-recognized artists from the L.A. region, offering a snapshot of the current trends and practices coming out of Los Angeles.
The biennial is organized by a team including Hammer senior curator Anne Ellegood, Hammer curator Ali Subotnick, LAXART director and chief curator Lauri Firstenberg, LAXART associate director and senior curator Cesar Garcia, and LAXART curator-at-large Malik Gaines. In conjunction with Made in L.A. 2012 curator Ali Subotnick is also organizing the Venice Beach Biennial, a weekend event that makes tongue-in-cheek reference to the “real” Venice Biennale in Italy and treats the famed Venice Beach boardwalk, Ocean Front Walk, as an outdoor exhibition venue. Over the course of the weekend, some 25-30 artists will set up vending stands alongside the veteran boardwalk artists on July 13–15.
also by Bill Davenport
- YouTube Introduces PayTube: Subscription Channels Get Test Run - May 10th, 2013
- The Los Ageles County Museum of Art Bids to Take Over Los Angeles' Imploding Museum of Contemprary Art - March 8th, 2013
- Dance Into The New Year with Artpix - January 8th, 2013
- RIPNEKST: Ex-Houston Graffiti Writer NEKST Has Died - December 29th, 2012
- Layer-Cake City: New Roman Excavation Finished, Subway, Under Art Center, Under Traffic Circle - December 27th, 2012