Iconic LA sculptor Ken Price, 77, died early today after struggling with tongue and throat cancer for several years. He recently completed preparations for his retrospective, which opens this fall at LACMA and travels to the Nasher Sculpture Center next year. Christopher Knight’s extensive obituary chronicles Price’s early education, his breakout shows at Ferus Gallery and his incorporation of LA industrial paint colors and the “verve, frequent humor and evident humanity” of Mexican folk ceramics.
also by Rainey Knudson
- Looking in the Mirror: Old Rock / New Art Affinities - April 30th, 2014
- Jeff Williams wins $30K AMOA-Arthouse Texas Prize - May 18th, 2012
- Preview LA's first biennial -- coming in June! - April 24th, 2012
- Arts for All leader Ayanna Hudson tapped to lead NEA Arts Education - April 13th, 2012
- LACMA offers 100 works from collection on Google Art Project - April 6th, 2012