Fair organizers Merchandise Mart have cancelled the Next Art Chicago fair for scheduled to run April 27-29, 2012, citing poor sales and an attendant failure to attract top-flight galleries, reports Shia Kapos in her Chicago Business blog. MM will continue its art fairs in New York, Los Angeles, Toronto, and Basel, as well as its annual International Antiques Fair. Despite crowds of art-loving visitors, “Year in and year out, the dealers would come in and they wouldn’t have enough sales to support their efforts here,” said MM President Mark Falanga. “The caliber of the dealers and the artists they represent went from a high-end fair to a mid-level fair.” But hope springs eternal: Tony Karman, manager of the former fair, is starting up a new fair of his own on Navy Pier: Expo Chicago will debut this fall.
also by Bill Davenport
- Artadia Wants You! Deadline for First Round of LA Grants September 30 - September 28th, 2013
- From Curator/Scholar to L.A. Gallerist: Paul Schimmel to Join Hauser & Wirth - May 24th, 2013
- YouTube Introduces PayTube: Subscription Channels Get Test Run - May 10th, 2013
- The Los Ageles County Museum of Art Bids to Take Over Los Angeles' Imploding Museum of Contemprary Art - March 8th, 2013
- Dance Into The New Year with Artpix - January 8th, 2013